Why we might need basketball hoops for kids
Is your child a basketball addict? Or, you want him to be? Either way, getting a good hoop is your move.
If you remember your childhood, you can imagine the importance of having such toys for kids. Our parents used to get angry with us as we kept playing ball games too much. It’s not the same story anymore. I mean, if the kids of 2019 and 2020 do sports, we love it because it is hard to keep them away from video games or social media. Therefore, do not miss any opportunity to keep them engaged with sports.
Portable hoops might be a good idea to keep the kids engaged with sports. It’ll help you on days you’ve to keep indoors. They are portable, so they could be carried outdoors easily. A portable basketball hoop can make a good toy where you won’t have many entertaining options. Moreover, it’s a good decoration for some. There are adjustable and regular options.
There are different hoops for different budgets. However, this time, we show you the best hoops for kids. We brought the best hoops together and you can see the best basketball hoops’ reviews below. If you are looking for bigger hoops for teens or bigger boys, find other options of these brands. They’re currently the top brands for the best basketball hoops. For instance, we show you Lifetime Youth but that brand also has Lifetime Pro, Lifetime Frontal Court and Lifetime 52 models in the market.
The Best Basketball Hoops for Kids; Only The Top Systems
SKLZ Pro Mini Hoop Basketball System with Adjustable-Height Pole
- The price is expensive than other products on the market. However, the quality is really great compared to other ones!
- The base has wheels which make the basketball system extra portable. You can move it around your garden without any problems!
- If you are living in a sunny area and you have to move your basketball system constantly you can get this one.
- The backboard is 33″x23″ in size and it’s shatterproof.
- You can fill the base with water or sand for extra stability.
- It comes with a 7-inch basketball which will make your kid feel like a pro.
- Height can be increased up to 7 feet which is great.
- I can suggest this one if you are looking for a high-quality mini basketball system for your kid!
- YourToysGuide’s Editor’s Choice.
Lifetime Youth Basketball Hoop
- One of the best sellers in the market right now.
- The height of the hoop is 32 inches and you can’t change it.
- You can change the height from 5’5 to 7’5 in 6-inch increments.
- The base can carry up to 10 gallons which is heavy enough to prevent falling.
- The poles should be installed correctly, you have to strike them into hard surface five or six time.
- It has two different color designs and they look fantastic.
- It comes with a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty which is great!
Best Choice Products Kids Portable Height-Adjustable Sports Basketball Hoop
- The price is really affordable compared to other products.
- The height can be changed from 6’5 to 8 feet with ease.
- If your kids are bigger than 12 years of age this might be suitable for them since it’s taller.
- It has two wheels which allow better mobility.
- The base is extremely sturdy and heavy.
- It can be used indoors or outdoors without any problems.
- OVERALL DIMENSIONS: 29″(L) x 22″(W) x 76.5″-97.5″(H)
- Some customers are not satisfied with the product because of a few things.
- Customers reported it’s made from cheap materials which will make it tear up easily. If you are looking for something high-quality checkout hoops in the article.
- If you are looking for a cheap alternative you should get this one!
Yaheetech Portable Basketball Hoop System Height Adjustable Basketball Stand for Kids
- The backboard is made of PE which is designed to last longer than standard products!
- It’s lightweight and high-quality at the same time.
- The stability is improved in this version.
- The price is suitable for mid-end products. It won’t cause any harm to your packets.
- There are better stands out there. If you are looking for something high-quality you can get other ones.
- The height can be increased up to seven feet without any problems.
- Suitable for kids above 7 years of age.
- It can be used indoors or outdoors.
Things to consider
There are lots of details to consider but I’ll tell about the highlights of choosing the best basketball hoops for kids.
- The size of the backboard: It enables performing bank shots. So, if the size of the backboard is not sufficient, it fails to provide one joy. Just to let you know, NBA and NCAA use 72 inches wide and 42 inches high backboards. If you do not care about money, go for real dimensions and change adjustments with montage as the kid grows. Pretty luxury, right?
- The material of the backboard: Polyethylene, acrylic, or tempered glass.
Polyethylene backboards are plastic backboards that are the most durable and the safest. They make the product lightweight and easy to carry around. In addition, it is the safest pick for kids’ basketball hoops.
Acrylic is theoretically better in terms of quality. They are transparent and look like glass. It makes the product stylish. In addition, they are light enough to carry around. However, it’s not a good choice either as kids’ hoops or advanced players’. In other words, if we wanted lightweight, we would go for the safer one: plastics. If we wanted a stable and high quality, we would go for a fixed backboard made of tempered glass. So, I wouldn’t buy acrylic backboards.
Tempered glass is the professional basketball backboard material. It’s pretty heavy and I would never suggest it for portable hoops. However, I have to say that they are more satisfying if you apply safety measures. To sum, tempered glass is the best backboard material but it’s the worst backboard material for portable hoops.
- The rim: You can find rims with diameters of 14 inches to 18 inches as you please. The different thing is the way the rims are mounted to the backboard. There are two types of rims. That are standard rims and breakaway rims. Furthermore, a good choice is breakaway basketball rims. A good durable rim is covered with springs. If so, they provide better rust protection.
- Stability of base: Base capacity should be appropriate. Now that the products are suggested because they feature good bases, then the true tip is to fill it with base gel instead of water in case you leave them outside in winter. You can either use sand or car anti-freezes to fill in.
- Support Pole: Firstly, a support pole should be stable and adjustable for kids. The more distance from the backboard, the better the game experience is. The brand should optimize it to keep stable and distant.
- Appropriateness to your purpose: After all, we are looking for the best basketball hoops for kids.
The stability is very important and most of the products feature a water gallon beneath. Meanwhile, none of them are made for hanging dunks! At least, the rim should be a breakaway-rim. These toys can help improve hand-eye coordination. Adjustable baskets will be better options because growing kids might get stronger to throw balls higher. Adjusting the height for higher can also be a sign of achievement to motivate. Normally, as you adjust higher, the stability reduces. However, we tried to bring extra stable portable basketball hoops for kids to your consideration.
Once I had one portable and I fixed to the wall later. Similarly, If it’ll be one of your options, get the one with flat back-side. Make sure you can undo. Maybe later, you will turn it portable again. The following basketball hoops are cool for both as toys and decoratives for playrooms.
Safety is one of the top criteria for our reviews. The base is the most important safety part of portable basketball hoops for kids. They are stable because they are well calculated to keep stable against wind or dunk situations.
People buy such toys or tools to use for many years. Therefore, we brought only the durable hoops which feature durable materials against weather conditions and clashes. In the end, products worth their money.
You must have realized that our opinions are also based on entertainment value. Among the many entertaining outdoor toys for toddlers, basketball hoops deserved special pages of reviews.
We chose the best basketball hoops to keep on engagement. Physically active playtime depends mostly on entertainment. Happiness is the key as it causes endorphins. Even the outlook of the backboards and nets affect motivation.
We cared about the design. So, we showed you how materials affect the playing experience. Even more, we imagined them as home decoratives. In the end, our reviews included visual awareness.
Running, dribbling, and shooting training are great cardio workouts. Many movements of basketball increase kinesthetic awareness. So, it’s awesome to start playing basketball early. If you encourage your kids to do sports, stronger and more positive personalities will grow. There are hundreds of things possible to create a good environment for your kids. Some of them are cheap, some of them cost seriously. Indeed, getting a good basketball system for your kids in somewhere in-between.
Editors’ choice & Conclusion
My favorite is the one with the rectangle backboard and I think it is the best basketball hoop for kids. Because the proximity element in skill-development is important to me. Proximity means the resemblance to real life. So, believe me, you should keep toys as similar as possible. For bigger boys, you could go for real size hoops. However, when they’re teens, they can attend clubs. Still, in some cases, they’d like to have hoops within easy access to train whenever they wish.
It seems we need better nets for them. Do you agree that taller and better nets would look way better? In addition, I expect the basket to be 18 inches in diameter. Of course, we can use smaller balls for kids. When the time comes, you’ll want as many things similar to real dimensions as possible. At least, go for the ones with a 14.5” diameter.