Last Updated on
First, I start with a warning. These toys are awesome. So, they might be extremely interesting for adults, too. Dear moms and daddies, please wait for your turn! These toys cost me some hours from my sleep. “What if I code it like that?” That’s the triggering question keeps you playing.
Because there are many things you should know about coding robots, I will also share the facts and opinions on STEM learning and coding. For those, keep on reading after the reviews.
We brought together the coding toys for kids. Indeed, not to waste your time, everything you need to know brought together. You can find the best coding robots for 3 – 13-year-old kids.
Coding Robots for Kids Between 3 and 6 years
Developing skills to code might start at the age of 3. Under 3, it might be dangerous because of the choking hazard. The toys should be appropriate. These toys below won’t require kids to be literate. Coding made simple for them with colors and symbols. Both of them are popular among users. In either case, the choice is yours.
Learning Resources Code & Go Robot Mouse Activity Set, 83 Pieces
- Great analog activity for tactical and visual learners.
- The set is crucial for developing different skills including problem-solving, sequencing and programming fundamentals.
- One of the simplest toys in the market for kids. It’s a great activity set for developing skills.
- It has two different speed modes which are useful for different talented kids.
- The set contains a total of 83 pieces which is higher than average.
- It requires 3 AAA batteries to operate they are not included in the package.
- The activity set is suitable for kids above 3 years of age.
Thames & Kosmos Kids First Coding & Robotics
- One of the best toys for early stem development.
- The set is great for teaching the fundamentals of coding.
- It works by itself you don’t have to use the set with any other platform.
- The coding robot comes with a 64 paged manual which is really easy to understand. If you don’t know how to use this kind of toys, you should get this one!
- There are six different storylines included in the set. There are different goals for each storyline. They will keep kids entertained and interested.
- There are 30 coding lessons included in the set. Each lesson is designed by computer science teacher’s association.
- This might be best set for your kid out there, highly suggested!
Coding Robots for Kids Between 6 and 9 years
The 6-9 period is really the most important shift for such skills. Respectively, one’s interests and lifestyle within this period can be permanently effective in a lifetime. With these in mind, professional creators prepared the following toys. Many seriously parenting users loved them. In addition, many private schools included these within their curriculum.
You and teachers know the kid better than anyone. With your opinions and the facts about the coding robots below, choose one of them. You don’t need to doubt. We supplied a good variety of choices below. They have one thing in common: Worth…
Ozobot Bit Coding Robot
- One of the best sellers in the market and the price is really reasonable.
- Basic bot building skills for kids above 6 years of age.
- The set comes fully assembled which your kid can enjoy right away.
- The bot has its own programming editor which is highly useful. It’s really easy to use the editor since its mostly drag and drop.
- Optical Sensors, LED Light, Strong Polycarbonate Shell, Online Activity Library
- You should use Ozobot on the flat and strong surface. It should not be used on rugs or dusty surfaces.
- The starter pack is fantastic. It contains 25 pages of “learn as you go style” tutorials. If your kid follows the tutorials exactly the set is really great for beginners.
- It’s the most basic coding bot for kids between 6 and 9 years of age. Highly suggested!
Wonder Workshop Dash – Coding Robot for Kids 6+
- The set has different bundles, all of them have different features. With this in mind, make sure you get something suitable for your kid.
- The bot comes ready out of the box and your kid can use it right away.
- It can work with voice commands which is great for improving your kid sensual skills. Your kid can easily explore loops, events and conditions with this robot. These are the basics of coding which makes it really important.
- There are five free apps which come with the bot.
- The platform of the coding robot is really great. It offers an open-ended learning platform which can be used for a long time. Your kid will definitely improve the creativity and critical thinking skills with this robot.
- There is a community where kids can share and learn about new ideas. This place is also great for developing social skills.
- It can be played up to 5 hours with one charge which is really great. You can use a usb charger to power it up.
- This toy is used in around 20000 schools which is also cool.
- If you are looking for a high-quality coding robot you can get this one!
Learning Resources Botley the Coding Robot Activity Set
- Great activity set for developing early coding skills. The activity set comes with everything your kid needs. It’s also really fun to play for kids. Your kid will lose track of time while playing with this beautiful robot activity set.
- It can be used right out of the box. You just need 5 AAA batteries to make it run.
- You need Philips screwdriver to make it work. Your kid can start coding instantly after you set it up.
- There variety of coding games which are specially designed to improve the creativity of your kid.
- The robot uses 3 AAA batteries and a remote controller uses two batteries.
- It offers full-screen free coding which is great for small kids. If your kid is around 5-7 years of age you can easily use it.
- It doesn’t need to be connected to any tablet or phone.
- There is a smart system installed in the Botley which avoids objects in front of it and it works really well. So, it’s really fun to create obstacle paths with this one and it is extremely easy.
- If you are looking for an easy to use coding robot for beginner kids out there, you should get this one!
LEGO Boost Creative Toolbox 17101 Fun Robot Building Set
- One of the most complicated sets out there for kids.
- It has tons of creative options for any kid out there. It’s really fun to create obstacle paths with this one because it has tons of options.
- The set comes with 847 pieces of lego which can be used for coding.
- The robot can be modified by the user. Your kid can rebuild it into 5 different multifunctional models.
- One of the best toys out there for kids above 7 years of age. It can be used until 12 years of age. The robot offers so many challenges which makes it a great long term toy for anyone.
- A tablet or mobile phone should be connected to the robot. It’s compatible with Android, iOs and Windows 10 devices which are listed on the sales page.
- It teaches the basic fundamentals of coding at a great price. Meanwhile, most of the devices don’t offer this kind of variability.
- The robot has a really great value for the price if you compare it with other products.
- Extensive models are really great for parents who are looking to get that extra benefit.
- It’s really easy to use this robot with a proper Bluetooth and device.
- The only downside it needs a tablet or phone which can increase the expenses.
- Sometimes apps are not that great, your kid might have problems with unlocking new levels.
Learning Resources Botley the Coding Robot 44 Piece
- Suitable for kids above 5 years of age.
- It’s a basic starter set for any kid out there.
- If you are just starting your kid to code this might be a great choice because it has a reasonable price.
- Great for developing problem-solving and critical thinking skills.
- It can be used right out of the box.
- You don’t have to connect it to any Bluetooth device.
- It requires 5 AAA batteries to operate.
- You can get this one if you are looking for a beginner coding robot for kids.
Coding Robots for Kids Between 9 and 12 years
Schools and many individuals use these. Coding robots give you the opportunity to provide your kids’ self-paced code learning. They teach kids with many skills in a hidden way. Thereupon, these robots games don’t feel like a lesson. Yet, they are pretty educative in terms of STEM. These robots can reinforce the lessons. In other words, giving the children the opportunity to continue training alone, coding robots are growing even more popular day by day. You should bring lessons and games together for 10+-year-old kids. In the same fashion, the market can offer purchasable options as you can see below.
Educational Insights Artie 3000 The Coding Robot
- The price is really reasonable if you compare it to other products in the market.
- The coding robot works by a simple principle: Your kid has to design the code and the Artie draws the line according to your kid’s design.
- The bot also has different designs installed it in by default.
- It comes with a quick start-up guide which is helpful for parents and kids. The instructions are really clear and easy to understand.
- It doesn’t require any internet connection at all but you have to use it with a tablet or computer. Moreover, it’s connected to these devices by wifi which is great.
- If your kid is just starting to code this might be a great set for bigger kids out there.
- It has a 365-day guarantee which is a plus.
Sphero SPRK+ STEAM Educational Robot
- The educational robot has two different designs on the sales page. You can get the best one according to your preferences.
- It’s powered by Sphero educational app which is really useful.
- If your kid is into coding you should get this one because it’s complex enough to keep a kid interested.
- There is a community where kids can share their creations which doubles the fun!
- All of the sensors are programmable which is a huge plus for serious coders out there.
- The outer part of the toy is extremely durable, it can last for real good time.
- 60-minute battery life is really enough for most of the kids out there.
- It’s also waterproof which makes it high-quality.
- The robot is suitable for Bluetooth and wireless connection.
Anki Cozmo, A Fun, Educational Toy Robot for Kids
- The limited edition version of this toy robot looks really fantastic.
- The color and design are different than other coding robots in the market. It will definitely attract kids.
- The price is on the mid-range.
- It has a nice beginner friendly interface which is suitable for beginners. Even adults can learn to code with this robot.
- The robot works with a compatible Laptop, iOs or Android device.
- The free Cozmo app is really fun to use since it has a variety of activities specially designed for kids.
- The best selling toy robot for kids in the market right now. The customers are extremely satisfied with the product.
- The software has different quests. It requires your kid to interact with the robot daily otherwise the kid will lose progress. This might be a problem for parents who don’t want their kids to play with this robot all day long. However, it might be great if you want your kid to be consistent.
- The coding robot is easy to use and the games are fun for any kid out there.
- I can suggest this one if you are looking for a high-quality coding robot for kids.
Makeblock mBot Robot Kit
- This one has a tiny size but it does the job as advertised.
- If you don’t want to spend too much money on a robot kit you can get this one.
- The robot kit is used worldwide which makes it really great. It has a big community and customer service.
- Obstacles can be built within 15 minutes and they are fun to make.
- It can be coded on iOs or Android with ease. The platform has over than 450,000 users which is perfect!
- It requires 4 AA batteries to operate.
- If you are looking for a cheap solution for your kid’s coding robot needs you should get this one.
Wonder Workshop QU01-13 CUE Coding Robot For Kids 10+
- The toy is suitable for kids above 10 years of age.
- It has a different design which can be attractive for selective kids.
- It will encourage creative problem solving because it’s really advanced for coders.
- Over 170,000 words and 30,000 text responses which might be a surprise for kids.
- It can work up to 30 hours with a single charge. If your kid spends too much time with coding this is great.
- The robot has 40 different challenges which take around 300 hours to complete. After that, your kid can design their own challenges and have fun with it.
- The price is a little bit expensive than other products on the market.
- I can suggest this one if you are looking for a high-quality coding robot for your kid.
Coding Robots and STEM
The technological developments of our age brought a new reality: 21st-century skills. The revolution of AI and machine learning will shape our future. Actually, it has started shaping. The future engineers must know it while even the others should. It is like our relationship with money. Economists must know the money realities in depth while all others should know. So, those who don’t understand at least the simple coding will, unfortunately, miss out.
Teaching poems, history, literature, and other 20th-century-trends to kids won’t work anymore. Reaching information takes a couple of seconds now. Why should an adult keep talking to the children? To pass knowledge? That’s an old method and it was good for its own time. Not anymore. Instead, people can reach information faster than old methods when they learn how to reach. As a matter of fact, they now do!
To avoid irrelevancy, kids should be directed to these systems. Depending on age, you can start with basic coding videos. There are several different ways for younger kids and also for teenagers. After all, knowing that the education systems are problematic all around the world, you can help yourself. All you need to do is make a little research. You might be looking for:
- pre-school sets
- primary sets
- elementary sets
- high school sets
- Robotic kits
Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. This is a teaching pattern.
New individuals are expected to understand the mathematics behind the life facts. Thus, they should be educated to be able to provide with creative solutions to the unknown problems of the future.
STEM can be connected almost to all branches. For instance, there is something called STEAM which includes STEM in arts.
STEM can really help your kid to seize knowledge intuitively. In the long run, kids can come up with a creative and questioning approach. These activities will mostly feel like games.
Language Skills and STEM
Learning the language of computers is quite similar to learning an actual language. In effect, coding skills can be used in learning languages. More importantly, kids will have their minds ready to learn languages.
Organizing and Problem-solving Skills
Kids can learn the relationship between micro and macro. It wouldn’t be easy if we didn’t have materials to teach these. First, imagine yourself trying to teach the kid the importance of pouring some milk to a glass. Try to teach the importance of nutrition starting from here. It won’t be easy this way. Then, imagine yourself trying to teach a robotic basketball game. The kid will automatically learn about steps and the result.
They will learn to organize things step by step to achieve something. Eventually, their problem-solving skill will be reinforced.
Curiosity, creativity, and self-confidence
When they see a game or toy, they are curious about it. Then, they find out the fact that it could work differently. After that, they will try changing something in the system. Finally, when they achieve something to show others, they will start feeling confident about it. This is how STEM enhances curiosity, creativity, and self-confidence.
A Better Future
To whatever the predisposition and tendency started, STEM improves it. All those skills I mentioned above are universal skills. In other words, kids will have
Why coding robots?
It is not easy to tell a child about the secrets of STEM in a lecture hall. Thus, there are several systems. mBot, Scratch and coding robots are spearheading patterns to introduce kids with STEM.
Gamification is already a known model of teaching. Kids are natural gamers. As they play games of codes, they will be more familiar with future lessons. More importantly, future problems… Regular lessons could start at the age of 6. However, there are many toys like coding robots for 3-year-olds.
Robotic gaming activities train kids more than a regular game can. Especially the sets made for pre-school kids can efficiently reinforce learning attitude. Moreover, it can also be named as the first milestones of engineer skills. Kids play with the toys freely. So, they have a tendency to use creative skills a lot. Meanwhile, they use their hands and motor abilities.
Coding robots help us to introduce our kids with some senses of the coding perception. So, in many schools, they provide with robotic or coding lessons. You can reinforce it with coding robots. Kids can test their creative and questioning ideas instantly.
Moderate your expectations
STEM and coding robots for kids should be instruments of development progress. In other words, arranging a lesson or buying some toys won’t be solely enough. Actually, nothing is the only key for successful STEM progress. Indeed, no teacher can teach better than kids’ self-learning tendency. Therefore, we try to teach them how to learn. Mostly, we do it in a hidden way. You should expect coding-toys to make your kids familiar with coding. If you do not moderate your expectations, they disappoint you. More importantly, if you put a feeling of underachieving on the table or if you exaggerate, it won’t be to your favor. So, moderate your expectations upon STEM and coding robots.
If you can afford, coding toys are awesome choices. I assume you already spend on toys. Not to mention, children neglect many of them. In contrast, the love of coding is unlike an actual toy. Correspondingly, kids find a reason in their mind to get busy with the coding toy again and again. Granted that, I suggest you spare your toy-budget on coding robots for kids. We’ve tried to make choosing easy for you. All in all, it’s a good idea!